We are searching data for your request:
Upon completion, a link will appear to access the found materials.
Kimchi is one of the classics of Korean cuisine. Its history begins in the 1st millennium BC, and possibly even earlier. The main component of the dish is cabbage, fermented and seasoned with hot spices and vegetables, sometimes with the addition of seafood, mushrooms, seaweed, and so on.
Kimchi is officially included in the list of the healthiest food in the world, is a national symbol and tourist attraction of Korea, and the culture of its preparation is recognized by UNESCO as a masterpiece of the intangible heritage of humanity.
There are thousands of recipes for this dish, and each housewife in Korea prepares kimchi in her own way. In the article, we will tell you step by step how to cook kim chi with your own hands (or, as this dish is also called, kimchi, chamcha, chimcha, chim chim, chim cha) from Chinese cabbage, and also, in addition to simple step-by-step recipes, we will show photos of serving options salads before serving.
What is this salad usually made from?
It is Beijing cabbage that is the main ingredient in the dish. Although other types of it are often used:
- white cabbage;
Also, instead of it they use:
- eggplant and other vegetables.
New recipes are created when it is impossible to prepare kimchi from familiar products, and the credit for their invention also belongs to the Korean people - those of its representatives who do not live in their homeland.
How to do it at home?
With ginger and carrots
- Chinese cabbage - 1 medium-sized head of cabbage.
- Hot red pepper, coarsely ground - 3 tbsp. l.
- Ginger - a piece of 6-7 cm.
- Carrots - 1 pc.
- Sugar and salt to taste.
- Water - 1.5 liters.
- Rinse the head of cabbage, disassemble into leaves.
- Wash the carrots, peel and finely grate.
- Peel and chop the ginger.
- Dissolve salt and sugar in water, add pepper.
- Fold cabbage leaves in a container with a prepared solution, shifting them with carrots and ginger.
- Leave to ferment for several days in a warm place, remove the finished dish in a cold place.
With olive oil and coriander
- Peking cabbage - 1 pc.
- Fresh hot red pepper - 1-2 pcs.
- Ginger - a piece of 5 cm.
- Coriander seeds - 1 tablespoon
- Salt - 2 tablespoons
- Water - 1 liter.
- Olive oil - 2 tablespoons
How to salt:
- Wash the cabbage, cut it lengthwise, put it in a container, fill it with brine, leave it under yoke for a couple of days in a warm place.
- For dressing, peel and grind ginger, wash pepper, remove seeds, grind in a meat grinder, add coriander, grated ginger, oil, mix.
- Rinse the cabbage, cut into pieces as desired, mix with the dressing, cover the container and leave to ferment for another 2 days.
- Store the finished dish in the refrigerator.
Spicy salad with red pepper
When making kimchi using these recipes, you need to buy a special red pepper.
With paprika and soy sauce
- Peking cabbage -1 kg.
- Water - 1.5 liters.
- Salt to taste.
- Red bell pepper - 300 g.
- Chili pepper - 1-2 pcs.
- Bitter pepper flakes for kimchi - 1-2 pcs.
- Soy sauce - 50 ml.
- Garlic - 1 clove.
- Ground black pepper and other spices to taste.
- Citric acid - optional.
- Boil water and salt.
- Wash the cabbage, sort it out, cut into pieces if desired.
- Fold in brine, tamp, put under oppression and leave to soak for a couple of days, then rinse.
- Wash bell peppers and chili, remove seeds and stalks.
- Chop the chili, cut the bell pepper into slices, add the sauce, spread the cabbage leaves with the paste, put in sterilized jars, pour over with brine and leave warm for a day. Citric acid will speed up the process.
- A sign of the readiness of the dish is the appearance of small bubbles on the walls of the cans.
- After that, the jars are removed to a cool place.
With bell pepper and pear
- Peking cabbage - 3 kg.
- Onion - 1 head.
- Garlic - 4-5 cloves.
- Bell peppers of different colors - 3 pcs.
- Pear - 1 pc.
- Green onions - 1 bunch.
- Granulated sugar - 1 tablespoon
- Red pepper flakes for kimchi - 2-3 tablespoons
- Salt to taste.
- Rice broth - 1-2 cups.
- The cabbage is immersed in brine until softened, then washed.
- Rice broth is mixed with sugar and pepper.
- Onions, garlic, bell peppers and pears are ground in a blender and added to rice paste, and each cabbage leaf is coated with this mixture.
The latter must be done with gloves so that your hands are not injured.
How to marinate with garlic?
In these recipes, the main emphasis in terms of dressing is on garlic, and you will need a lot of it, so the dish will be very spicy.
The easiest way
- Peking cabbage - 2 kg.
- Garlic - 6-7 heads.
- Salt - 500 g.
- Bay leaves - 10 pieces.
- Sugar - 0.5 cups.
- Coarsely ground red bitter pepper - 4 tablespoons
- Boil water with salt, sugar and bay leaves.
- Rinse the head of cabbage, cut into halves, immerse in brine for two days, then rinse in cold water.
- Chop the garlic, mix with pepper and grease each leaf thoroughly with cabbage (put rubber gloves on your hands).
- Keep in a warm place for 24 hours. When ready, put away in the cold.
How to salt with the addition of pink salmon
It turns out very tasty if you add salted pink salmon in pieces to the above list of components, including the head. Pieces of fish are placed between the leaves of cabbage while smearing with garlic-pepper paste. The cooking method remains the same.
How to make scallions chimchi?
Yes, there are such recipes, because Korean women can make kimchi from anything that is edible. This type of kimchi is called pha-kimchi and the main ingredient is onion.
Traditional way of salting
- Green onion or leek - 500 g.
- Peking cabbage is a small head of cabbage.
- Soy sauce - 1/3 cup
- Ginger - 2-3 cm root.
- Hot coarse pepper - 4 tablespoons
- Garlic - 3-4 cloves.
- Sugar - 1 tablespoon
- Sesame seeds - 1 tsp
- Rice flour - 2 tablespoons
- Rinse onions and cabbage, sort out, cut as you like, pour soy sauce.
- Prepare rice water from flour and a glass of water, add sugar, ginger, chopped garlic and sesame seeds.
- Pour the mixture into the marinade with vegetables and leave in a warm place for two days.
- Store the finished food in the refrigerator.
With fish sauce
You can make kimchi using a different sauce. It is called fish and is made from anchovies, it can be Thai, Vietnamese, etc.
You can buy it in specialized Asian food stores or in large supermarkets. It has a peculiar smell, but when you combine the ingredients in a dish, it turns out to be very appetizing.
If you really want something spicy, and there is no time to wait for the complete fermentation of the dish, you should not postpone the pleasure indefinitely. There are also quick recipes for this dish in the piggy bank of Korean chefs.
Fresh cucumbers can also become the basis for kimchi, and this appetizer is made quickly, that is, it is pickled for no more than an hour. A real Korean instant cucumber salad is prepared as follows.
- Cucumbers - 4 pcs.
- Peking cabbage - 1 small head of cabbage.
- Garlic - 2 cloves.
- Salt - 1 tablespoon
- Chili pepper - 0.5 tsp
- Hot red pepper - 1 fruit.
- Coriander - 0.5 tsp
- Ginger - 2 cm piece.
- Sesame - 1 tablespoon
- Kinza and other greens to taste.
- Rinse the cucumbers and cut into thinner cubes, cut the Chinese cabbage into small pieces, mix everything, salt and leave for 20-30 minutes warm.
- Chop garlic, chili, herbs, ginger, red pepper, coriander with a blender.
- Rinse vegetables, shift with dressing and let it brew for half an hour.
- Sprinkle with toasted sesame seeds on top.
With paprika and carrots
The dish turns out to be sweetish-spicy, and the olive oil gives it a pleasant bitterness.
- Chinese cabbage - 3 small heads of cabbage.
- Carrots - 1 pc.
- Dried paprika pieces - 0.5-1 tbsp.
- Sweet bell pepper - 1 pc.
- Olive oil - 10 tablespoons
- Classic soy sauce - 3 tbsp. l.
- Garlic - 1-2 cloves.
- Rice vinegar - 6 tablespoons
- Sesame seeds - 3-4 pinches.
- Hot red pepper, coarsely ground - 0.5-1 tbsp.
- Salt to taste.
We marinate as follows:
- Rinse the cabbage, cut off the bottom and cut into slices, then put in a bowl, salt and mash.
- Peel the carrots and cut into thin strips.
- Rinse the pepper, remove the stalk, partitions and seeds, chop as thin as possible.
- Combine vegetables, pour in rice vinegar, soy sauce and vegetable oil.
- Add hot pepper and dried paprika.
- Stir again, add sesame seeds, marinate the container in a warm place.
- The dish can be eaten after a couple of hours, but after a couple of days it will become much tastier.
Daikon is a white radish that is loved in the East and is eaten both fresh and as part of other dishes, including kimchi. Daikon kimchi has a juicy, pungent flavor and several cooking options, including no spices.
From the recipe below, you can remove any seasonings, leaving the minimum, and you get a summer spicy refreshing salad.
- Daikon - 600 g.
- A head of Chinese cabbage.
- Salt - 1.5 tbsp l.
- Green onions or leeks - 2 pcs.
- Garlic - 3 cloves.
- Ginger - 0.5 tbsp. l.
- Red hot peppers - 4 tbsp. l.
- Thai fish sauce - 3 tbsp l.
- Sugar - 1 tbsp. l.
- Rice flour - 1 tbsp. l.
- Water - 120 ml.
- Peel the daikon, cut into pieces, rinse the cabbage, cut it lengthwise, salt everything cool, leave for half an hour, then rinse well.
- Chop green onions and sprinkle vegetables with them.
- Dissolve rice flour in water, heat, mix with pepper, sugar, chopped ginger and fish sauce. Let it brew.
- Combine all components, mix and place in a warm place for 2-3 hours.
What dishes are served with?
The dish is ideal for any second course:
You can use it as a snack for alcohol.
It goes well with:
- lean rice;
- hot potatoes;
- poured with oil;
- rice noodles;
- udon noodles.
Separately, kimchi is served with:
- chopped nuts;
- sesame seeds;
- finely chopped greens;
- slices of pear;
- pieces of prunes and so on.
Check out the photo for serving options for spicy pickled and salted Chinese cabbage kimchi salads.
Kimchi is rapidly gaining popularity around the world. It is added to hamburgers, pizza, soups are prepared on its basis. The food is considered dietary, as it removes fat deposits from the body, helps with colds and hangovers, protects blood vessels from atherosclerosis, destroys pathogenic microflora, strengthens the immune system, and slows down the aging process.
Bacteria in Kimchi Kills Avian Flu and SARS Virus: it is a scientific fact, confirmed experimentally and applied in practice.
There are many types of kimchi, and not all of them are spicy. We told you how to salt and pickle Chinese cabbage. The cooking methods for this dish vary greatly in different parts of the country, so there is always a choice for gourmets. And don't forget that everything is good in moderation, especially savory snacks.