Hypoestes attracts gardeners with its unusual coloring of leaf plates. The plant is able to decorate any windowsill or balcony with its appearance. It can also be planted in garden plots or in front gardens.
In this article, we will tell you in detail about this overseas plant, dwell on its types in detail, and also find out how this flower reproduces.
What it is?
Hypoestes belongs to the genus of herbaceous and shrubby plants of the acanthus family, to which many plants belong.
The homeland of the plant is Madagascar and tropical Africa. In our country, flower growers breed it as a decorative flower.
There are many hybrids derived from two main types: leaf grate and blood red hypoestes.
This plant also has another name - Gipestes spotted. Both names are used equally.
Leaf plates are of particular value in the plant - they are curly, serrated at the edges, located opposite each other. The leaves are oblong ovoid, pointed at the ends, at the base the leaves taper, turning into small petioles. They grow up to 10 cm in length.
But the main feature of the leaves is the variegated color. The main background is dark green or purple. There are spots, stripes or strokes on it, they can be red, white, pink or yellow.
Hypoestes starts flowering in early May and continues to bloom throughout the fall. Lilac flower petals. Flowers are mainly connected in inflorescences of 2-3 buds.
The root system is well branched, located closer to the soil surface.
Stems are straight, firm, strong, gradually stiffen, and then become bare. The entire plant usually does not grow more than 60 cm in height. During pruning, 30-40 cm of shoots are preserved - this way a beautiful neat bush is obtained.
It is not difficult to breed a plant - it is easily propagated by cuttings and seeds.
Most often, whiteflies and aphids attack hypoesthesia. Also, due to improper care, spider mites and mealybugs can start.
Due to dampness and excess moisture, the leaves may turn yellow or black at the edges. With dry air or soil, leaf plates wrinkle and fall off.
Poor lighting is detrimental to the appearance of the leaves - they lose their saturation.
Features of the
Hypoestes is a tropical plant, but it is completely unpretentious in care. The main thing in care is to ensure regular soil moisture and long-term lighting.
In the autumn-winter period, the plant needs to provide additional lighting. - phytolamps are best suited for this. Otherwise, hypoesthesia will lose its main advantage - the rich color of the leaf plates.
It is worth noting that diseases characteristic of ornamental plants are not afraid of hypoesthesia.
It is the most popular type among amateur florists. Differs in a light pleasant aroma. If you regularly cut off the shoots, a beautiful crown is formed up to half a meter high. The leaves of this species are elongated, narrowed towards the ends, have an ovoid shape. They have - average dimensions: length - 7-8 m, width - 3-4 cm. The base of the leaf is dark green, purple or dark pink spots are located on it. During the flowering period, small buds appear, which form a kind of corolla.
It is an evergreen flower. Shoots are soft, grow densely to each other. The base of the leaf is green, with light purple blotches on it.
It is also widespread among florists. Differs in a wide range of colors. The most popular colors are white, crimson and burgundy.
Common types, description and photo
Below you can see descriptions of different types of flowers with photos taken during flowering.
Blooming and not blooming
Perennial hypoesthesia refers to non-flowering plants. They are most often used as a ground cover plant. And they attract attention due to the unusual color of the leaf plates. However, hybrid species have now been created on which buds can bloom. For example, hypoesttest Osanisty - small pale pink buds bloom on it.
You may be interested in watching a video about how hypoesthes blooms:
It is also called Confetti. Includes many subspecies. But the most common are the following: red, white, crimson, red wine. Let's describe them in more detail.
- Red. Frequent crimson-red blotches appear on dark green leaf plates.
- White. Differs in a particularly delicate appearance. The leaves are proportionally divided into white and green.
- Crimson. It is characterized by a bright pink color that blends with the green base of the leaves.
- Red wine. There are three shades of leaves here. The two main ones are green and burgundy. Above them, a crimson hue appears in small blotches.
This variety is characterized by succulent shoots. Leaflets are smooth, rough or bumpy.
The veins on them contrast brightly with the main color. In length, the leaves grow up to 10 cm. The flowers are collected in inflorescences with peaks, the main form is tubular, their color is usually pale.
Caring for the room Mix at home
It is not difficult to grow this type of Hypoestes at home. But here it is important to consider some of the features of care:
- direct sunlight is dangerous for the leaves, therefore it is better to place plants on the western or eastern sides of the room;
- lighting should be diffused - for this, on sunny days, the plant is shaded with paper or a curtain;
- in the spring-summer period, the optimum temperature is 22-25 degrees Celsius, and in the winter time it is reduced to 18-20 degrees (with a sharp decrease in temperature - up to 15 degrees and below - the plant may get sick or even die);
- the rest period occurs extremely rarely;
- the flower loves humid air, therefore, it is recommended to put a container of water near the flower pot or put a flowerpot on wet expanded clay;
- in the hot period, the leaves are sprayed daily;
- pots are needed wide, but not high;
- the soil should be loose, light, with low acidity;
- you need to moisten the soil every two days, for this they use settled water at room temperature;
- it is impossible to allow the soil to dry out - the plant immediately begins to hurt;
- complex fertilizers are used as top dressing; for a rich color, the leaves definitely need potassium (nitrogen is not recommended, otherwise the foliage will fade).
The variety is distinguished by its growth rate and ease of reproduction. It grows in height up to 20 cm. The color of the leaves corresponds to the name of the species. On a bright green base, there are delicate pink blotches.
Optimal growing conditions
- The species needs bright, but diffused light all year round. Therefore, in the winter, it will be necessary to use artificial lighting.
- In spring and summer, the plant needs a temperature in the range of 23-25 degrees, in winter and autumn it drops to 17-20 degrees.
The variety does not tolerate sudden changes in temperature and drafts. Therefore, it must be protected from air conditioners and fans.
- It is necessary to spray the plant regularly to maintain optimal moisture levels.
- Watering is required plentiful, but care must be taken to ensure that the water does not stagnate in the soil.
- In the autumn-winter period, watering is halved.
- Fertilize the plant from early spring to mid-October. Top dressing is applied once every 20 days.
Hypoestes reproduces in two ways - cuttings and seeds. Features of seed propagation:
- Seed material is harvested in the fall - it can be stored for up to three years.
- Seeds are planted in March.
- Before sowing, the seeds are soaked for a day in a growth stimulator.
- The seeds are spread over the entire surface of the soil without pressing into the soil.
- The container is covered with foil and placed in a warm place for 15-20 days.
- The film is removed daily for 2-3 hours to ensure air circulation.
- After the appearance of the first 2 leaves, the seedlings dive in separate containers.
Features of cuttings:
- The procedure is recommended to be performed at the beginning of March.
- The upper shoots are cut off by 8 cm.
- There should be 2-3 leaves on the handle, and there should be no buds there.
- The shoot is placed in a glass with settled water.
- The first roots will appear after a week.
- After that, they can be planted in the ground - in the first 2 weeks, it is recommended to cover the cuttings with a jar.
The best soil composition for hypoesthesia:
- 1 hour river sand;
- 1 tsp peat;
- 1 tsp humus;
- 2 hours of leafy earth;
- drainage layer.
We recommend watching a video on how to root hypoesthesia cuttings:
We recommend watching a video on how to grow hypoesthesia from seeds:
Hypoestes are the brightest representatives of the family. Bright colors help to turn any flower bed into a real unusual mosaic or ornament. In addition, the plant does not require much care.