In the past few years, the orchid has become very popular among flower growers and now it takes pride of place on almost any windowsill.
Many lovers, with the appearance of this beautiful plant at home, wondered how to breed them at home.
We can immediately say that this is a rather difficult matter. There are many ways of reproduction of an orchid, but today we will consider only one of them, namely the appearance of "babies".
What it is?
Children (or cakes) are a new miniature plant, which forms on the stem, roots or peduncles of an orchid. Children have their own little peduncle, leaves and even their own root system. If a baby has appeared on your orchid, then consider yourself very lucky, since they are formed only under ideal conditions.
Next, you can see what the orchid babies look like:
Purpose of education
With the help of children, you can get a new beautiful plant. After a certain time, when the baby is fully grown, it is separated from the mother plant and transplanted into a separate pot.
What to do to make cakes appear?
For the growth of children, you need to take care of the proper care of the orchid, namely, about lighting, temperature conditions, nutrition and watering. Also, do not forget about the high humidity. But even competent care will not give you a 100% guarantee of getting babies if you did not pay attention to the following nuances:
- the orchid must have a well-developed root system;
- the plant must have at least four healthy and formed leaves;
- babies can appear only on those orchids that are more than 2 years old;
- the orchid should not be diseased or infested with pests.
Is it possible to get a shoot on a peduncle?
Babies appear on the peduncle of mature and well-fed plants after flowering. This is due to the fact that in the wild during this period the rainy season begins, and the non-pollinated orchid tends to reproduce. These conditions are easy to recreate at home with frequent spraying and proper temperature conditions.
Step-by-step instructions for growing at home
In addition to growing children on a peduncle, there are several more ways and we will describe each of them in detail.
How are they formed naturally?
After the orchid finishes blooming, in order to grow a baby on a peduncle, it is necessary to recreate special natural conditions for the plant and arrange a little kind of stress.
- The best time of the year to grow babies on a peduncle is spring. Kidney stimulation can be started as early as February, when daylight hours begin to gradually increase up to 10 hours.
- By early spring, move the pot to the west side window. Thus, the plant will be exposed to sunlight for about 5-6 hours a day.
- It is also necessary to ensure sudden temperature changes. In the daytime, the temperature should be kept at a level from +25 to +27 degrees, and at night it should fall to + 15-17 degrees.
- Watering should be done no more than once every 7-10 days.
- Until the bud wakes up, do not fertilize or feed the orchid.
Can a culture produce keiki after stimulation?
In the event that the orchid for some reason does not reproduce on its own, then this process can be stimulated with a special tool. Cytokinin paste has proven itself best in this matter.
The process of stimulation with cytokinin paste is as follows:
- First of all, you need to warm the pasta to room temperature.
- Decide on the stalk you want to grow your baby on and choose the healthiest bud available.
- Disinfect the knife and use the tip to gently peel off the scaly skin on the kidney.
- Moisten the opening with water, and then, using a fine needle, evenly apply a small amount of cytokinin paste.
- The result should appear within two months.
You cannot process more than 3 buds on one orchid. If several children appear at once, you must choose the strongest one, and remove the rest.
How to grow in water on a peduncle stalk?
This method is suitable for growing babies on sick, young or weakened plants. In this state, the orchid is simply not able to form a baby on its own, but this does not mean that you cannot stimulate this process. To do this, you need:
- Separate the peduncle from the plant and cut it into separate parts so that each is still.
- Fragments of the peduncle must be supplied with water with activated carbon. The water level should be a few cm above the cut. It is necessary to change the water every 3-4 days.
- As soon as the children are formed on the fragments of the peduncle, it is necessary to begin to spray them with nitrogen fertilizers. This must be done once a week.
How to get from plant parts?
Another way to raise babies is to divide the mother plant into parts. The division takes place as follows:
- The plant must be removed from the pot and thoroughly shaken off the substrate.
- Then the root system must be soaked for half an hour in warm water.
- Next, the bush must be carefully laid out on the newspaper and with a sharp disinfected knife, cut off the upper part of the plant, while capturing several air roots. Please note that there must be at least 5 sheets of paper on the cut part.
- All cut points should be thoroughly dried and treated with activated carbon or ordinary brilliant green.
- The plant will dry out within a day, after which the upper part must be planted in a substrate and a small piece of foam plastic should be placed under the stump - this will help to avoid decay.
- The lower part is also carefully planted back into the pot and continues to care for it, as before, but reducing the watering of the plant in half.
- After a while, babies should appear on the lower part of the plant. If there are about 3 of them, then do not write off to remove them and then in the future you will get a beautiful and fluffy bush.
How to separate the scion from the mother?
After the process appears on the plant, it must be separated from the mother. This process is quite painstaking, during which you need to take into account some important points.
- Before separating the baby, make sure that the roots are more than 5 cm long, and at least 2 leaves have formed at the top.
- First you need to prepare a small transparent pot and pre-moistened pine bark.
- Take a sharp, disinfected knife and separate the baby from the peduncle, leaving 1 cm on both sides.
- Treat the cut with ground cinnamon or activated charcoal.
- After the treated areas are dry, place the baby in the prepared pot and sprinkle with bark on top.
Be sure to make drainage holes in the pot, as well as a few holes on the sides for ventilation.
We suggest watching a video on how to separate an orchid baby:
In order to get a 100% result, it is necessary to properly care for the plant both before the appearance of the baby and after.
- Maintain the room temperature between 21-23 degrees.
- Exclude the possibility of direct sunlight falling on the orchid.
- Watering should take place regularly, as the substrate dries. In no case should the water stagnate in the pot.
- It is recommended to use mineral nitrogen fertilizers, but the drugs must be used strictly according to the instructions written on the package.
After the separation of the baby from the mother bush, the conditions of care change somewhat. They look like this:
- The best option for a young plant would be a greenhouse built from a plastic bag.
- The temperature inside the bag should be between 25-27 degrees.
- It is imperative to monitor the humidity level in an improvised greenhouse. It should not fall below 70%.
- The first watering is carried out only 4 days after the baby is transplanted into a separate pot. Further watering takes place as the substrate dries out.
- Keep your baby out of direct sunlight.
- It is recommended to keep a young plant in a greenhouse for a year.
The most common problem when raising babies is slow growth of the root system. Because of this, the mother bush can also suffer so much - it will begin to develop much slower, as well as slow down the onset of flowering.
It is quite simple to make the peduncle not only have children, but also develop flowers. If you notice that the baby's root system is developing extremely slowly, then separate it from the mother bush and stimulate root growth by applying wet moss or placing the baby in a container with water.
As you can see raising babies is a rather lengthy and exciting process. But if you follow all the recommendations and take into account all the subtleties of this stage, then everything will certainly end with success.